Sunday, November 12, 2006

Tomorrow Starts Today

Dear Northern College students/friends,

Monday marks the start of Semester 2 of the Northern College academic upgrading program in Fort Albany. I think the first semester was a success, but I think everyone can give a little more - myself included.

Our class began on July 25. It was delayed a week because I had to be down south with Christine when she was in Mount Sinai unexpectedly. I came back home alone to start the course, determined to be a better instructor than I was during the last course, which was my first stab at teaching. Let’s just say there was a lot I wanted to do differently. For the most part I am happy with the changes I implemented. There has been more energy in the classroom. And you the students have been more accountable for attendance.

I remember that first day of class. It was a beautiful Monday - bright and sunny. I had such a euphoric feeling. I sensed the students I had were dedicated and willing to work. You haven’t let me down. I am really happy with your attitudes.

For this semester, I would like to see us strive to meet certain goals academically. It simply won’t be enough to complete the course. The students who complete program will be prepared to enter the ACE program, or the credit recovery program at Peetabeck Academy. The potential for this group is enormous. I feel I owe it to you to push yourselves to your potential.

Another goal for this semester is more community involvement. There are countless fundraising opportunities available to us, starting with the Christmas bazaar next month. There’s also the chance to volunteer our time at the school - whether it be with dinner to go on Wednesdays or the reading club on Thursdays.

I am really excited about the second semester. It is a chance for a fresh start. As they say in Fubar "Let’s give er."

JM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home