Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Does This Boy Look Native?


The only white baby in Albany

Yesterday I returned to the classroom and it didn’t take long for the ribbing to start. I brought in a picture of Jonas to show the students. Their response was predictable.

"He looks native don’t you think?", one of them asked.

"I didn’t know your wife is native", said another.

Hahaha. I let them get it out of their systems. It was very good to be back. Very good indeed.

I looked at the picture again, and low and behold he does look a bit like a native baby, but ONLY because it was taken on one of the four days of his life that he was jaundiced. Something I managed to point out to the pupils.

Our class has tremendous chemistry. They enjoy making fun of their teacher, but they also show an interest in me as a person. I too like getting to know them on a personal level. They lead very interesting lives. They exist on a different level than the rest of society. And I mean that as a good thing. There is less emphasis on material possessions in Native culture. I find it really refreshing.

It rained almost all day in Fort Albany. Yesterday was one of the most beautiful days you could imagine. It just goes to show that the weather in Northern Ontario is about as predictably unpredictable. I just got off the phone with Kyle Wellwood of the Maple Leafs. I interviewd him for a story I’m writing for Hockey Life magazine. I had not interviewed Wellwood since his first year in the OHL. Boy, has he changed. Then again, so I have I.


All bundled up for a walk

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Hi. Just surfed into your blog. I grew up in Moose Factory. I was the only white girl in my class all through elementary school, with three exceptions, grade two, grade five and grade eight. It wasn't always all fun.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

By the way, you have a very cute kid there.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi christine, beautiful baby, yah looks a little nativish..thats those night shifts eh,,,lol..I miss you and our old crew..thank you Jeff for sending the web,,but, shelly made it sound liike you had stats, more epidemiological kind of stuff is what I'm lookin for .so I'm guessing you guys aren't going back?..Well it's the only place I call home so I will begoing back someday..hope to hear from you again and thank-you..Margie

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home