Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Great Thanksgiving - With Pictures to Prove it

Yesterday we enjoyed a most memorable Thanksgiving. The fall colours were on full display, there was a chill in the air, and the smell of chimney smoke permeated the reserve. There were no baseball games for me to lose myself in, but other than that it was just perfect.

Jonas, Christine and I went over to the Ambulance Base where our close friends Jeremie and Jocelyn hosted a Thanksgiving feast. Jeremie is a paramedic, while Jocelyn is an RN who is leaving Albany for good on Wednesday. She is returning to her hometown of Kingston where she will write her own ticket as a Nurse Practicioner. James Bay General has had several months to make her an offer to remain here as an NP, but one has not come. I won’t get into details any further, but needless to say the hospital is losing an incredible asset.

Anyway, back to the feast. The food was incredible, and the company was just as good. Since none of us can be with our families on holidays, it feels like everyone up here is your family. Of course, Jonas was a huge hit. He was a very good boy - he just loved being passed around.

I have this week off from teaching because it is a culture break in the community. A lot of the community members are out hunting, so it is pretty quiet around here. I’ve had a few people ask me if I was going hunting, but I tell them I’m too busy being a father. Never mind the fact that I couldn’t shoot a moose if it walked into my living room. I’m no big advocate of hunting, but since moving up here I appreciate how important it is to Native culture. There is something noble in feeding your family this way. I just have a lot of respect for the knowledge that one has to have in order to live off the land.


Christina, Jonas, Paramedic Wendy and her son Grissom


Jonas and his Auntie Christina


Wendy’s sister, Olive


Jocelyn did not want to give Jonas back


Jonas and his new friend, Ladyne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home