Friday, September 29, 2006

I Have No Time For Tie Domi

Tie Domi was a lousy hockey player. He is an even worse human being.

I’ve known this for quite some time. There are few people I loathe more than the former NHL goon. He is the biggest phony I’ve encountered as a journalist.

I could never comprehend why he was one of the most popular athletes in Toronto. I’m told his bad-boy, brawny personality had something to do with it. Also, he portrayed himself as a man of the people – an athlete not far removed from his constituency.

What a load of bull this is.

I hope Domi worshipers took notice this week when details of his sordid personal life became public. His now ex-wife Leanne filed divorce documents detailing accounts of Domi’s alleged infidelity, emotional abuse, and family abandonment.

Domi walked out on his wife and three children and carried on an affair with actress Tia Carerre for two years. Now it appears he is the latest boy toy of Liberal MP Belinda Stronach.

When I worked for The Hockey News, I had access to the Maple Leafs’ dressing room. One time early in the 2003-04 season, I watched as Domi berated a PR man as players and journalists looked on. At first I thought it was Domi joking around, but the PR guy wasn’t smiling. Plus, the anger in Domi’s eyes revealed a sinister motive.

A reporter friend of mine tells a story that reveals how much of a bully Domi is. He found himself alone in the dressing room with Domi and Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. Unhappy with what he perceived as unfair criticism, Domi tore into the pair. He accused them of abandoning him. My buddy said he feared for his safety – he honesty thought Domi was going to haul off on them.

I was once walking past Maple Leaf Gardens when the Leafs still played there. Domi was standing on a street having an animated conversation with a guy I didn’t recognize. I watched for a few minutes as Domi got in the guy’s face. The only time he took his menacing eyes off the man was to turn his head and spit on the ground.

TSN just hired Domi as a commentator on its Wednesday night broadcasts. When he retired, I thought I’d see less of his ridiculous head. No such luck. I guess I’ll just have to change the channel when Domi’s on – just as I always have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home