Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Month That Was in Music

One of my passions in life is music. Listening to and collecting songs is a hobby of mine. This goes back to the late 1980s, when I was just a wee lad. Anyway, a few of you out there know that I enjoy ranking my favourite songs of each year. It is fun to look back on past years and see just how the music I listened to shaped my memories and vice versa.

Here are the singles I was listening to in September - ranked in order.

1. Ticket to Immortality, The Dears - This track will end up being one of my favourites for the year. I just love the lyric: "Everyone has had their fun with me/but the world is really gonna love you." Just a great phrase that makes me think of little Jonas.

2. You’re All I Have, Snow Patrol - I just love the latest SP CD. Apparently this upbeat song has been released as a single in the UK.

3. For Us, Pete Yorn - Pete Yorn is one of my favourite artists. His CD musicforthemorningafter is one of my all-time faves. His new disc Nightcrawler is outstanding too.

4. Good Man, Josh Ritter - Josh Ritter is one of those artists I love to listen to on a rainy Sunday in autumn.

5. Pull me Through, Jim Cuddy - Blue Rodeo is one of my favourite bands. This song isn’t JC’s best work, I’ll admit. It sounds like a leftover from the Diamond Mine CD, and that’s going back about 17 years. Still, Jim’s voice still sounds fantastic.

6. Shopping Trolley, Beth Orton - I really like Beth Orton’s voice. I like a few of her singles, but find her albums less than stellar.

7. New York Minute, Mobile - I’ve been hearing this song on XM quite a bit. It is catchy pop-rock, but by no means earth-shattering.

8. Original Fire, Audioslave - This song barely made it on my list. I like Audioslave, but this isn’t one of my favourite singles by the band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home