Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Is there a Giller Prize in My Future?

I spend a lot of my day walking. It’s a 15-minute stroll from home to work. And since I come home for lunch to help Christine out with Jonas, I spend 60 minutes a day just walking to and from school. On average I spend an additional 45 minutes a day walking the dog. All this walking gives me time to think. And lately I’ve been thinking about the book I am going to write. Yes, I might write a book.

A few people are pushing me to write a book about my experiences in Fort Albany. They expect it to be a memoir, I think. I haven’t seriously thought about doing it, truth be told. At this point it is just a fantasy I have. The book, I should tell you, will not be a memoir. I don’t think it would be interesting enough. The book I write will be a piece of non-fiction based on the lives of some of the community members. I guess I would take some creative licence - like that guy who got in trouble for making up stories in the memoir "A Million Little Pieces." Only I would be up front about it.

In getting to know my students and others up here, I have come to the realization that they lead extraordinary lives - lives that are full of tragedy, laughter, hope, failure and redemption. I would talk to as many people as possible and let them tell me their life story. I would allow them to tell me about all the critical moments, the sadness, tradgedy, and the good times. In the hands of a great writer, these stories could be woven into a remarkable piece of writing. I don’t pretend to be a great writer, but I think it would make an interesting read because the stories would be unbelieveably captivating. The people here have great depth, I have discovered. It’s just that they do not have the literacy tools to express themselves the way they want to.

I guess I have this on my mind today because this year’s Giller Prize was awarded last night to an ER doctor who had never written a book before. Apparently, he met Margaret Atwood on a cruise ship and told her about his idea for the book. In fact, I think he showed Atwood a draft. She loved the idea - and his writing. I wonder what Margaret would think of my idea? It’s not like the lives of natives haven’t been chronicled before, so I realize I would have to bring something different.

The Giller Prize is $40,000. Here’s an interesting question: would you rather win $40,000 for writing a book, and get all the noteriety that comes with it? Or would you rather win $1,000,000 in the lottery. Is this a stupid question?

Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger mindji said...

Hello there,

I just had to comment. How can I not comment when

1 - I've come across a blog from a person who is living in Fort Albany! Fort Albany! and not Fort Albany, New York! The important Fort Albany in northern Ontario! :)

I spent almost two years there, waaaaay back in 1986...sheesh, I feel old when I write that....My not-at-the-time husband was working at the Hudson Bay Store, now Norther Stores and I took time off from Humber college to be with him (now we are married with two boys, 15yrs and 18yrs). I went there and I learned how to dogsled and I played a heck of a lot of Risk during the winter....Risk parties with friends in Kash!

As for the Giller prize! I would take that over the lottery anyday. I love to write, although the only writing I seem to be doing of late is correcting. I am a teacher too. I teach English, ESL to young adult French students, at the Cegep. I teach the advanced Lit class and I love literature. You mentioned Margaret Laurence, well I bought her biography this summer.

I will be back. Fancy meeting you!
Peggy

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giller for sure. No question.

I agree that you should write a book. I would love to know more about local life there and you are just the guy to tell it.

MW
(in case you don't know, this is Megan)

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home