Sunday, November 05, 2006

Work begins on the weekend

I have posted a few new pictures of Jonas in our photo album, so check em out if you like. I have no idea how the dog got into the one picture with Jonas.

This hasn’t been as stressful a weekend for as the last one. I decided to set modest goals for myself. That way I don’t feel too overwhelmed when I’m folding laundry at 11:30 pm on a Sunday night. Still, the work week seems like a breeze compared to the weekends when you have an infant to look after. I like to relieve Christine during the overnights. I give Jonas a bottle when I can and do the diaper changes every couple of hours. This was Christine’s idea, something I went along with because I enjoy living indoors and would rather not sleep on the porch.

One of the tough decisions on weekend mornings is when to get out of bed. Perhaps other parents and those over 30 face this difficult choice too. Simply put, if I stay in bed too long I will wake up feeling worse than I would have had I arisen earlier. You young wipper-snappers out there wouldn’t understand. Only us folks who went to high school before the proliferation of the internet seem to be afflicyed with this sad dilemma. It’s pathetic, really. Our bodies are conditioned to function best on about seven hours of sleep.

The advantage to this is that I can get more accomplished during the day and still some leisure time. The highlight of my week is Saturday and Sunday mornings, taking Ollie for walk and coming home for a relaxing breakfast, followed by a cup of Tim Horton’s coffee (the kind from the tin) as I read the latest issue of The Hockey News. On Sunday mornings I turn on the TV and watch "The Reporters" on TSN and think to myself how much sense Dave Hodge makes. He’s got such a great wit, and unlike a lot of his younger counterparts, he’s all about substance over style. I would like to see him on TV more. Come to think of it, someone once suggested that Dave take over for the late Tom Cheek on Blue Jays radio broadcasts. I think that would be a fantastic idea. I might actually start listening to games on the radio again. Someone get on that please!

The most enjoyable part of the weekend was Saturday night when I was flying solo with Jonas. Christine went over to Jen’s to watch a movie. She was apprehensive about being so far from Jonas for such a long time (three doors down for two hours). Alas, he was in good hands. We watched the Leafs crush the Sabres 4-1, and then watched a bit of the Canucks-Avs game before his mommy came home. He had a few crying fits, which neither his rocker nor his swing could stop. I did, however, manage to convince him to down an entire bottle of breast milk. When Christine came home I had him in bed, in his sleeper, diaper changed, and his belly full. Just call me Mr. Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home