Thursday, November 02, 2006

Jeff’s October Playlist

Well, a look at the calendar and the snow on the ground tells me it’s November. Here are the new singles I was listening to in October, ranked in order.

1. Slow Motion, David Gray
This is a fantasitic song, one that was elevated in my mind when I saw it used during Abby’s birth scene on E.R. - which is still a pretty good show. I like David Gray a lot, and this just might be my favourite song of his.

2. Hometown, The Supers
Don’t know too much about this band, just that they are an alt-country band from Montreal who sound a bit like The Cash Brothers. Like this song because it makes me think of Kirkland Lake, a little bit anyway.

3. A Night Like This, Tomi Swick
A wistful song that is pretty good. I don’t like his other single "Everything is Alright."

4. Helicopters, The Stills
I’ve heard this song on XM, so it goes on the playlist. Any song that has the chorus "Helicopters are chasing animals through the fields" has to be good.

5. In The Backseat, The Arcade Fire
Another XM song. I really like The Arcade Fire. Very strong band.

6. A Message, Coldplay
I have soured on Coldplay a bit this year. I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe too much exposure. This song is just OK.

7. Stand Up and Be Strong, Soul Asylum
Kind of sounds like something from "Grave Dancers Union." Glad to see they haven’t gotten out of their comfort zone.

8. Help Me Suzanne, Rhett Miller
I am a Rhett Miller fan. The opening line "tell me why the whites of my eyes are red" does it for me.

9. Welcome To The Black Parade, My Chemical Romance
I caught them on SNL and realized the lead singer isn’t much of one. But I’m the guy who worships Neil Young.

10. Land of Confusion, Disturbed
Usually I don’t like cover songs, but this one is really good. This is a timeless song, considering it is 20 years old and still relevant today.

11. Doctor Blind, Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton
I heard Emily Haines say Neil Young is one of her influences. I can hear it on this track.

12. In View, The Tragically Hip
This song barely made my list. Truth be told, the Hip stopped mattering to me around 1998.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home