Thursday, December 07, 2006

Dirk Soeterik wins big "Inside the Box"

Friends, every so often I have one of those days in which I feel like I’ve been hit with a jolt of electricity - in a good way. Tuesday was one of those days. We were (and still are) on Cloud 9 after learning that Martyn and Carrie are getting married next October. And just when I thought a day couldn’t get any better, I changed the channel on the television and soon found the face of my good buddy and former Hockey News colleague Dirk Soeterik staring back at me.

"Oh my God, it’s Dirk, it’s Dirk, it’s Dirk," I shouted to Christine, who was in the kitchen.

I couldn’t believe me eyes, Dirk was a contestant on "Inside The Box" a Canadian game show that tests the TV knowledge of contestants, a show so horribly low budget that it has become a daily guilty pleasure for Christine and me. Now, part of the appeal for us is playing along at home, and laughing at the idiocy of the contestants, some of whom may never have watched TV in their lives.

I knew Dirk could kick the butts of the other two competitors; this is the type of show he could thrive at, a show that rewards those who can recall inane details of old and new shows, characters and actors - and recall them in front of a studio audience with the lights shining down on them.

Well, Dirk crushed his opponents and advanced to the final round where he was able to parlay the clues he was given and come up with the right answer: actor Gerald McCraney. Dirkie walked away with a cool $2,500 out of a possible $10,000. Well done, my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home