Saturday, November 25, 2006

Mary Mackie in the FA

I have posted a few new photos in our photo album (link on the right). Take a look if you choose.

There is a very special guest visiting Fort Albany this weekend: my mom. She arrived from Penetanguishene on Wednesday and is staying until Tuesday. She is here to see her grandson and to make sure we’re not wasting our lives living up here (she’s decided we’re not). On Friday she conducted a breast feeding seminar at the Health Centre. I don’t have breasts, so I did not attend. I understand, though, that she was a big hit.

My recent post concerning my attempt to read Margaret Atwood’s feminist novel "The Handmaid’s Tale" has elicited a strong response from friends and strangers alike. It would seem that reading the novel is a rite of passage for Canadian women. I have read several stories of essays being written about the book, essays comparing Margaret Atwood and Margaret Laurence (one of my faves), and just general observations about the book, in particular the ending. Well, you’ll be happy to know that I’ve picked it up again. I’ve read the first four chapters, and I am also reading an online study guide to accompany the book. How nerdy is that?

Speaking of nerds, I would like to welcome my friend Tom Wilkinson back to Fort Albany (sorry Tom, I couldn’t resist). Tom is married to Jennifer Knight, the director of patient care at the hospital. He has spent the past few months taking a log home building course down south. He took a leave of absence from his teaching job to do this. Tom starts back at Peetabeck on Monday. Students, consider yourself warned: Old man Wilkinson is back!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home