Friday, December 28, 2007

I’m super excited for Saturday

On Saturday I'm going to my first Kirkland Lake Legion 87's home game in almost 19 years. And I couldn't be more excited.

As a child, the Legion 87's and the Toronto Maple Leafs were my favourite hockey teams. They would compete for my loyalty on Saturday nights. Fortunately, the 87's games started at 6:30. Hence I could still catch some of the Leafs' game.

I last saw the Legion play at home in February of 1989. It was the fourth game of a first-round playoff series against Rayside-Balfour. Trailing 2-1 in the series best-of-five series, the 87's received four goals from a 15-year-old named Marc Demers to force a fifth game the next weekend in Rayside - a game in which they lost. I couldn't have predicted I'd go 19 years without seeing them play at home again. There's no way I could have know we'd move to Lindsay later that year. At the time, I had no idea how long 19 years felt. Now I know.

In truth, I’ve been dreaming about this day for years. It’s now at the point where the dreams seem incredibly real. You know, the type of dream where you conciously tell yourself that it’s not a dream. Very bizarre stuff.

I just checked and found out that Kirkland Lake beat New Liskeard 4-1 tonight in Liskeard - the first of a weekend home and home. It will mean a lot to me if the 87’s beat the Cubs again tomorrow night, something they should be able to do. The most important thing for me, however, is that the atmosphere at the game not be disappointing. I understand that the 87’s draw very well, so I’m anticipating an involved crowd. It will surely be interesting to see how I feel as I walk through the arena doors. As I said to Christine earlier, I will probably feel happy to have made it back alive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home