Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Great Hockey Game

Here’s something for the hockey nuts out there...

I just returned from a fantastic hockey game at the Mac. The Soo North Stars beat the Timmins Majors 4-2 in Great North Midget League action.

I was fearing that the game would be a blowout. The Stars (9-1-0-0) are in second place in the nine-team league. They’d outscored their opponents 93-15 entering the game. The Majors were a respectable 4-1-0-1. However, they had only played one game against a .500 team, and that was an 11-1 loss to first-place Sudbury.

Tonight was the first time I’ve been impressed with the Majors. While they have good size, they are also a plodding team. They don’t have a great deal of team speed and their defence isn’t particularly mobile. I’m not crazy about their goaltending either - it’s like their goalies are allergic to the puck. I question how well coached they are too. They often seem disorganized on the ice. Tonight they struggled on the powerplay. I was starting to wonder if they even practice the powerplay.

Well, the two teams play again tomorrow afternoon and I think I will take Jonas. He’s been to a couple of games with me, and we’ve really enjoyed ourselves. I think it’s good that he gets out in public, even if he’s at the squirmy can’t sit still stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home