Sunday, August 12, 2007

Its a mad, mad world

Did I miss a meeting? Am I the only sane person left? Doesnt anything have meaning anymore?

Case in point: Last weekend Jeff and I were driving back from Kirkland Lake, on a curvy road at night. The posted speed limit was 80km, we were doing a safe 90-100km. We were passed by everything on four wheels, including little old ladies! Now, no one would ever accuse Jeff and I of being speed demons, in fact you might even say we are slow drivers. We do the speed limit or not very much over. All this passing got me thinking, how fast should a person go? How much over the limit is acceptable, and why should we go over the speed limit? What is the point of having speed limits if no one obeys? I know it is just speeding and some would say we should keep up with the flow of traffic. I still wonder what kind of example speeding sets for my son--since when is it ok to pick and choose the laws we are going to obey? Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean it is ok for us to do it. If everyone started killing each other, would that make it right? I know I shouldnt compare speeding with murder, although if you kill someone while speeding.... Incidently, this is the reason I never jay walk or cross on a red light, much to the chagrin of my friends :) The law is the law.

I also wonder when people stopped doing what they say they are going to do. Another case in point: Jeff writes a column for Sympatico (Bell). He signed a contract in which he agreed to write a weekly column and they in turn would pay him within 50 days of receiving an invoice. Jeff started writing in Februrary, and has been paid once. At the time of this writing, Bell was 4 months behind paying Jeff. Like a good soldier, Jeff kept writing his column, and continues to get the run around from Bell. First they told him the invoices had to be in Word format (It took 2 months for them to tell him that--all of his invoices had to be re-submitted) Now each time Jeff asks about payment, he is told "We are looking into it" No word on when payment should be expected--Anyone know a good lawyer?

Sometimes I worry about what kind of a world Jonas will grow up in. How can I teach him to take responsiblity, honour his commitments and be an upstanding man? Oh wow listen to me I am way too young to be this jaded :) Still though, It never hurts to have a reminder that we all share this world and it is up to us to make it better. So please, drive slow, and Bell, my son is starving, please pay my husband!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home