Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Running on Empty

First, the good news. I ran 41 minutes without stopping this afternoon. As far as I can recall, I’ve never run that long before. Not even in high school when I was supposedly in the best shape of my life. I remember the 12-minute run in Joe Lovsin’s class being quite the challenge. Today is a victory.

On the downside I felt terrible during the run. Every step was agony. My legs felt heavy and tired; my right foot was hurting me; I was terribly thirsty. Many times I felt like walking but I soldiered on. For that I should be proud.

I suppose I felt so crappy because for a few reasons:

1) I spent six hours behind the wheel yesterday.

2) My diet since Friday as not been so great. It has involved a lot of coffee and a little bit of beer. Perhaps I am a bit dehydrated.

3) It was a warm sunny day. I tend to run much better during the evening.

4) I ran alone and I always feel better with other people. It’s as though we feed off each other’s energy.

My next run is slated for Thursday evening. I will likely run with at least one other person. Right now my foot is a little sore - I hope it feels better by Thursday. I certainly don’t feel like another agonizing 41 minutes. We’ll have to see what happens.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear your run didn't go well yesterday.
It's good to stay regular and any little change in our routine can upset that balance.
Good Luck on Thursday.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home