Monday, January 29, 2007

250 km north of -33

This morning, I walked to work with the rising sun behind me, reminding myself to keep moving, lest I lose feeling in my legs and collapse in the cold white snow. I’m not sure what the temperature was, but I do know it was -33 C in Moosonee, and we are 250 km north of Moose. That wasn’t even the coldest locale in Northern Ontario - that distinction went to Chapleau, checking in at a frosty -38 C.

I don’t need a thermometer to tell me how cold it is. For me, cold is measured in the length of time it takes for my legs to start freezing when I take Ollie for her 7 a.m. walk. The last week has been the coldest stretch I’ve experienced in the 19 months I’ve been in Fort Albany. Last February, we had about 28 straight days of -20 highs and overnight lows of -35. This last week, however, felt even chillier.

Let’s see...What else is going on? Our class held a fundraiser on the weekend, selling Indian Tacos at Helen Knapaysweet’s place. Helen is Rex’s mom and surely one of the kindest people in town. She offered up her home to us, and along with her daughter Pam, did all the cooking. The students and I baked some desserts on Friday afternoon, but Helen and Pam did all the rest. The money we made will go towards our field trip to Moosonee on Feb. 9, where we will attend a career fair at Northern Lights Secondary School. Rex thinks one more fundraiser (he’s thinking a Texas hold em tourney) will allow us to charter a plane for the day. Talk about travelling in style!

On Friday night, Christine cooked up her fantastic veggie chilli and we hosted a dinner for the nurses and paramedic(s). I had one of those "I’m getting so old" moments when I had to explain to a 22-year-old nursing student that Miami Vice was a popular 1980s television show. Do they not teach kids these things in school?

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Miami Vice! Miami Vice is an institution, a way of life! How can they not teach that in school. It's the epitome of the 80's. A bad time for fashion and activism for sure but a shining time for materialism and neon. Seriously though, we must teach children about this blip in our history in order to prevent ourselves from EVER GOING THERE EVER AGAIN. Leggings are bad enough!

Sorry - 80's flashbacks do strange things to me.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home