Thursday, May 10, 2007

Job Update

I am back in Fort Albany today after a brief trip to Timmins for a job interview with the Timmins Chamber of Commerce yesterday. I interviewed for the newly-created position of policy and communications co-ordinator. I was interviewed by Chamber manager Keitha Robson and incoming president Marilyn Wood. In my mind, the interview went extremely well - as well as I could have hoped. The atmosphere was relaxed; there was some friendly banter between the formal questions. We talked about everything from my family, to my reasons for moving to Timmins, to my love for Northern Ontario.

I impressed myself in the interview. I was a little unsure about how I would perform under pressure, having been at home with Jonas for the last month and not having much face-to-face conduct with people. However, I felt something come alive inside me, a certain intangible, a confidence. I smiled a lot and wasn’t afraid to make jokes throughout the conversation. They complimented me on my lucky blue shirt at the beginning of the interview, something I referenced a couple of times later on. I also told the story of how I bought new shoes the night before. At the end of the interview, as I was leaving, Keitha said: "Hey, those are nice shoes."

They also told me I was one of 35 people who applied for the position. I had been wondering how many people I was up against. Eight of us were selected to write a position paper; five people were then picked for an interview. Whether I get the job or not, it is a huge confidence boost to know I made the top five. As I told Christine, I won’t be crushed if I don’t get the job. Instead, I will be stronger for the experience as I look for a job in Timmins. There are 600 businesses in the Chamber; Marilyn and Keitha I’m sure will be valuable resources for me going forward.

They said they would let me know either way by Monday at the latest. A bit of encouraging news is that they contacted my references yesterday. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jeff!! We are delighted for you. Quite an accomplishment to be chosen from a field of 35 applicants - you should be very proud.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home